Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy #1) by Pierce Brown

Red Rising - Pierce Brown

Synopsis:

The Earth is dying. Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie. That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labor, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.

My thoughts:

For some reason I have a hard time writing this review and I really don’t know why. I loved the book but I just don’t have a clue right now how to review it or where to start. So I just make it short and what comes to mind.

The book starts with this great love story between Darrow and Eo. But it soon turns tragic and in what the book is really about. A very controlled government, power and war. I thought while the beginning was both beautiful and tragic at the same time it also was a bit slow. Though it was  great set up for the rest of the book. I part that seemed a little slow to me was the transformation of Darrow. Once he was in the school/training things picked up a lot and it was very fast-paced.

This book has a great deal of action but also a lot “think about moments”. The story is all action both physical and mental. Darrow has to keep rethinking his ways to conquer it all. He never know who to trust and when he does he often gets betrayed. He is also forced to do things he thought he never do. What I liked most about Darrow is that he never forgets why he is doing all of this and lets nothing get in the way of “his” goal.

I enjoyed reading Darrow, his strengths and his flaws, even when he does not admit those to other he does to himself.

Mustang was great character I thought, that brought a nice balance to Darrow, though there are times where he doubts if he should have trusted her as much as he did.

I can’t wait to read the second book “The Golden Son” and see how his story continues and how “his army” will stand by him and how and how much they will be involved.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot, even though it is kind of a darker book and rate it a 4 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.”

***

“We grew together, and now are grown. In her eyes, I see my heart. In her breath, I hear my soul. She is my land. She is my kin. My love.”

***

“Death is easy when you've already tried to find it.”

***

"It's not just some dream, Darrow. I live for the dream that my children will be born free. That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

Available NOW :