The Giver (The Giver Quartet #1) by Lois Lowry

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Synopsis:

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

My thoughts:

I never heard of this book until I saw a trailer for the movie and it looked good, so I decided to read the book before watching the movie.

When I started reading it I was a little confused of what to think about the book. The world they live in was very different than ours. It was told form Jonas’s POV and he knows that world, so it seemed normal to him ( well mostly ) but not to me and it took me a little to get into the setting. Once I was there I decided that this is not a good world at all and I wouldn’t want to be there … EVER. Everything they do, eat, say and so on, is controlled. Nothing is left to chance and nobody can escape it. They don’t even question it, not even the very upsetting parts like (The Release). That is until Jonas is chosen to be the next receiver of memories and he see how much they miss, like emotions and even seeing things in colors. He See the world for what it was once including the bad things, like pain and hunger. He wants to change how they live now but he can’t do it alone and asks his mentor the giver for help.

I really liked Jonas, and one thing the community got right is that he is very brave.

There were a few things I would have liked to be explained a little better, like why the receiver of memories eyes are paler than everyone else’s , but I hope that it will be explained in one of the other books. There were a few things left open and unanswered including the ending. The ending was left kind of open. While I thought the last ending was heartbreaking to read for Jonas and Gabe. It also had a glimmer of hope.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot and it was one of those books that makes you really thing about the world we live in and how far will mankind go to change that.

I give it 4 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.”

***

“If you were to be lost in the river, Jonas, your memories would not be lost with you. Memories are forever.”

***

“I liked the feeling of love,' [Jonas] confessed. He glanced nervously at the speaker on the wall, reassuring himself that no one was listening. 'I wish we still had that,' he whispered. 'Of course,' he added quickly, 'I do understand that it wouldn't work very well. And that it's much better to be organized the way we are now. I can see that it was a dangerous way to live.'

...'Still,' he said slowly, almost to himself, 'I did like the light they made. And the warmth.”

***

“He knew that there was no quick comfort for emotions like those. They were deeper and they did not need to be told. They were felt.”

Available NOW