Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Synopsis:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

My thoughts:

I must admit I watched the movie before I read the book, so it was hard not to compare the two. Of course I liked the book much better, because we get to know more about Tris and Four/ Tobias but also all the side characters like Christina, Peter, Caleb and others a lot more. Also a lot more details about the serum and the simulations explained, especially at the end with the final simulation. But also that there was some tension between Tris and Christiana.

I really did enjoy this book and the characters and the world the live in. It was very detailed but not over detailed that you would get tired of it.

I almost had to learn to like Tris or get to know her more to like her. In the beginning she almost seemed like she was trying to be selfish just to be dauntless. But after that I really liked her and I really liked that she was not an instant hero, who was strong and beat everyone before but had to get there in training and got her butt kicked more than once. It made it more real.

Four, I liked him from the beginning and could tell there really is a soft persona under his hard shell. I did like that in the book we get to know more about him than in the movie and he opens up more to Tris in the book.

Peter and Eris, wow I wish she would have shot them both when she had the chance but that would have not been her and we need villains in the second and third book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book a lot and can’t wait to start on the second one. At least this time I get read the book before the movie.

I rate this book at 4 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

***

“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

***

“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

***

“He told me once to be brave, and though I have stood still while knives spun toward my face and jumped off a roof, I never thought I would need bravery in the small moments of my life. I do.”

Available NOW :