Black Rook (Cornerstone Run Trilogy #1) By Kelly Meade

Black Rook - Kelly Meade, Kelly Meding

Synopsis:

Brynn Atwood is a low-level Magus whose unpredictable precognitive powers have made her an outcast among her people—and an embarrassment to her highly-regarded father. After a frightening vision in which her father is murdered by a loup garou man, Brynn decides to prove herself by finding the killer, and stopping them at any cost.

Her target is Rook McQueen, the son of a small-town loup garou Alpha. Despite being the youngest of three, Rook is first in line to inherit the role of Alpha, a duty he isn't sure he's capable of fulfilling. When Brynn finally meets Rook, she doesn't expect the attraction that draws her to him—and him to her.

No longer believing him a murderer, Brynn and Rook strike an alliance to find her father's real killer. But when his older brother is targeted by an unknown enemy, Rook will have to choose between his growing feelings for Brynn and his duty as the future Alpha of his community.

My thoughts:

I enjoyed this book a lot. It is a great mix between romance and action, which was balanced very nicely. It had some surprising twist in it which I loved. The entire book is nicely balanced and well written, it has a great flow to it. The charterers are great and well written.

I loved Brynn, she is a strong and smart character who is not afraid to stand for what she believes in and help those she cares for. I felt bad for her sometimes, referring to herself as a “foolish girl” when she is really strong and smart. But that had a lot to do with her upbringing.  New things keep being thrown at her and she just keeps going and taking it the best she can.

Rook is also a great character. With all his strength and the future of being the next Alpha he still has some insecurities. But he also fights for what he believes in and once his mind is made up there is no going back for him. He is all in.

All the McQueen’s are great characters each in their own way. But no matter what they are there for each other and their run.

Over all this was a great book with action, romance, betrayal, heartbreak and so much more.

I can not wait to read the other 2 books and learn more about Bishop and Knight.

I give this book 4 ½ ★

*I received a free ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Will be available  July 15th 2014