Half a King (Shattered Sea #1) by Joe Abercrombie

Half a King - Joe Abercrombie

Synopsis:

“I swore an oath to avenge the death of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath.”

Prince Yarvi has vowed to regain a throne he never wanted. But first he must survive cruelty, chains, and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea. And he must do it all with only one good hand.

The deceived will become the deceiver.

Born a weakling in the eyes of his father, Yarvi is alone in a world where a strong arm and a cold heart rule. He cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so he must sharpen his mind to a deadly edge.

Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could.

My thoughts:

This was my first book I read by Joe Abercrombie so I was not sure what to expect with this book, but it was not that.

I loved this book.

After being betrayed and set up to be killed by his uncle, Yarvi ends up getting lost in the deep cold sea and that is only the beginning of his long curling journey of slavery and braving the elements out in the cold cruel word.

His whole journey is cruel and rather sad but even in the darkest moments Yarvi has hope and never gives up. It also shows that there can be hope and friendship in the most unlikely allies.

The whole story is well written and flows easily and I liked all the characters. Nonstop action and add some surprising twists, made this book a page-turner and kept it interesting.

I loved the ending, it was not was I expected and it kind of surprised me.

Over all a great book and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy

I give it 4 ½ ★

*I received a free ARC copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Will be available July 15th 2014