Perfected By Kate Jarvik Birch

Perfected - Kate Jarvik Birch

Synopsis:

I was bred to be the perfect pet. I was bred for my beauty and grace, to be a showpiece, an ornament to sit upon the couch, to sing, to dance, to play the piano and paint. I was bred to willingly put my owner's happiness before my own.

Until Penn. The handsome and rebellious son of the congressman who owns me, he's the only person who's seen past my perfect exterior to the girl underneath. Falling for him is forbidden. Falling for him is freeing.

But there's a dark underworld lurking beneath my pampered life. The only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn's family is escaping it, because if I fail, I face a fate far worse than death...

My thoughts:

This book was disturbingly good. It was disturbing in its own way but still good. Like a train wreck where you know you shouldn’t look but you can’t look away. That how I felt reading this book. I was disturbed by the whole humans being bred, raised and trained like pets. And I mean pets they are being raised in “kennels” and they get tags, even microchips are being implanted. At a certain age they get sold to their new “masters” mostly rich people of course. They way there are being treated like pets really bothered me but I wanted to know how the book would end so I kept reading and it did keep my interest all the way to the end and some.

I liked Ella’s character she is strong in her own way, but also afraid of what happens to her if she is not the “pet” that she should be. And when she starts to have feelings for Penn everything just gets worse and harder for her. But she never gives up. There were a few time I didn’t agree with what she did but couldn’t fault her because it was the way she been taught.

Penn, also make a nice addition to the book.

Overall I like the book a lot even with the weird  keeping humans as pets theme and I actually wouldn’t mind a second book to see how thing will continue.

I give this book 4 ★

*I received a free ARC copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Will be available July 1st 2014