The Immortal Crown (Age of X #2) by Richelle Mead

The Immortal Crown - Richelle Mead

Synopsis:

Gameboard of the Gods introduced religious investigator Justin March and Mae Koskinen, the beautiful supersoldier assigned to protect him. Together they have been charged with investigating reports of the supernatural and the return of the gods, both inside the Republic of United North America and out. With this highly classified knowledge comes a shocking revelation: Not only are the gods vying for human control, but the elect—special humans marked by the divine—are turning against one another in bloody fashion.

Their mission takes a new twist when they are assigned to a diplomatic delegation headed by Lucian Darling, Justin’s old friend and rival, going into Arcadia, the RUNA’s dangerous neighboring country. Here, in a society where women are commodities and religion is intertwined with government, Justin discovers powerful forces at work, even as he struggles to come to terms with his own reluctantly acquired deity.

Meanwhile, Mae—grudgingly posing as Justin’s concubine—has a secret mission of her own: finding the illegitimate niece her family smuggled away years ago. But with Justin and Mae resisting the resurgence of the gods in Arcadia, a reporter’s connection with someone close to Justin back home threatens to expose their mission—and with it the divine forces the government is determined to keep secret.

My thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one, it was packed full with action, suspense, friend and relationships.

Justin and Mae travel with Lucian to one of the less fortunate neighborhoods we get to see more of those not living in RUNA and it is not pretty. Especially for women. It reminded me of the Middle East in our world a little.

On the trip Justin still is trying to not bind himself to the god he is supposed to serve, but he is more open to the idea, to get help for Mae and also others.  The Raven are still with him and guide him and still working on getting him to sign himself over to the god. I thought the Ravens are a nice touch in the book and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Mae also is communicating to a god….. In order to help her find her niece. She is willing to pay any price , at least that is what she thought.

I loved the friendship Justin and Rae are having and how they are there for each other and trust each other.  I hope they will overcome things and end up together.

I love the way Tessa is adjusting to living in RUNA.

The last few chapters had me holding my breath and I was so angry and one person, and the last few pages I did not see that coming even though I should have guessed it. OMG.

It was intense and I can’t believe she ended it right there… Ok I can believe it but don't  have to like it lol. I can’t wait to see what will happen next.

Overall I give this book 4 ½ ★

* received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest        review. Thank you!

Favorite Quotes:

“Do not be deceived by the crown. It may look fragile, but there is power in it. There is power in love and beauty and desire. There is more power in creating life than taking it”

***

‘ “ I was in charge of putting jam into those little individual serving dishes everyone had,” she returned “ Did you notice those?”   “Oh yeah,” he said, as Lucian strolled over to them. “We were just having a big discussion about how artful they were, weren’t we?”

***

“This is the kind of power you have in service to me, the power of life and love and fertility. As my priestess, you will bring life where you choose. As my warrior, you will bring death when necessary. You will bring comfort and healing. You will ignite desire. And always, always, I will have my hand upon you, empowering you.”