Review: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman

Scythe - Neal Shusterman

Thou shalt kill.

A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.

Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.

3 ½ ★

This book is going to be harder to review as some other books for me.

I rather enjoyed this book and while I enjoyed it I didn’t love it. I kept wanting more out of it.

If you are looking for a fast paced and a lot of romance, this book is NOT for you. While never really boring I thought the book was rather slow almost all the way through. It picked up a bit at the end that was about it. When it came to romance there was barley any and you could have missed it if you would have skimped a few pages here and there. The little bit of sweet moments we get I thought felt off and I think it would have been much better if they would have just been great friends. There doesn’t have to be romance to be a good book.

All that being said, I still enjoyed the book very much. It is of course pretty dark and we pretty much see and hear all kinds of ways to murder glean someone and often groups of people.

It also makes you think a little.

I also really enjoyed the world building it was well thought out and I can’t wait to find out more as I still have a few questions about it.

As far as characters, there was never a secret to who is the villain and who was not. Obviously, I enjoyed some more than other but as far as the two main characters go, I liked them both very much, both for their own reasons.

The ending was semi surprising, some things I didn’t see coming at all and others, I figured out about half way through the book.

Overall I enjoyed the book just not as much as I thought I would. I’m looking forward to book two but also hope it will be a bit faster pace than book one.

I rate it 3 ½ ★