Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #3) by Chloe Neill

Twice Bitten - Chloe Neill

syns

Merit, Chicago’s newest vampire, is learning how to play well with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene—and to spy for the vamps while she’s at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan’s offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission. Merit must accept the assignment, even though she knows that she’ll probably regret it. And she’s not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She’ll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals—not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire…

my though

This book starts right where the last one ended. And we get to find out who was behind all the anonymous notes left for Merit and what they want from her and or the house. I like that Merit, is stronger and more comfortable with being a vampire, more than ever. She also interact more with other vampires and has made quite a few friends in the house. Things between her and Mallory are still not the same and need some work. Things between her Ethan also are very stressful on so many levels, I swooned, I cried I wanted to throttle him and not in a good way. I just wish he would grow a pair and stand up for what he wants and believes and not hide behind excuses. We get to meet some new players, the pack and while Ethan and Merit working hard to work with them and to get them as allies, someone has other plans. Of course most of the book we have the “who done it “mystery again that I love. Someone is framing the house on the attacks of the pack of shifters. The goal, starting a war between shifters and vampires. Of course humans, don’t know about shifters and that makes it so much worse and harder to hide the pack community. I really liked the Keene family and they bring some new and fresh to the series, besides who doesn’t like a pack full of hot shifters ;) lol. I cannot wait to see what will happen next. The end had me on the edge of my seat …oh wow. I really didn’t see that coming and I really felt for them… both sides. Overall, so far for me, this was the best book, Merit is finally more confident and stands up for herself. This book was also full of mystery twists and turns and let’s not forget the emotional roller coaster, Plus we of course get plenty of snark, humor and action. I rate this book at 5 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

I’ve found the love of my very long, very immortal life, and all I get is ‘Yay, Lindsey’. Some friends you are.”

***

“I am beginning to remember what it means to need things. Laughter. Companionship. Love.”

***

“Catcher snorted. “If we’re not playing naked Twister, we’re wasting our waking hours.” “Yep,” Mallory said as she tugged him down the sidewalk, “that’s the love of my life. He’s a romantic at heart.”

***

“Pec-tacle? You know, like spectacle but with more dude nipples.”

***

“Well, I suppose I could follow his advice. Are you hungry?” “Surprisingly enough, not at the moment.” “Will miracles never cease?” “Ha,” I said”

****