Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer Estep

Cold Burn of Magic - Jennifer Estep

Synopsis:

There Be Monsters Here. . .

It’s not as great as you’d think, living in a tourist town that’s known as “the most magical place in America.” Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I’ve got my mom’s bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend’s pawn shop, and I have to make a call–get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn’t. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I’m stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I’m going to end up just like her. . .

My thoughts:

I picked this book up at Netgalley, the synopsis sounded very interesting and it seemed like something I would like.

I did enjoy the book; I really liked the world building, mortals and monsters living side by side more or less peaceful. I wasn’t sure about the whole rival family feuds, but I liked it. It didn’t take the story over as much I thought it would. The aspect of most of the non-mortals having a different kind of magic was interesting to see who had what and what it could do.

The only think I could have lived without as the “soulsight” gift that Lila had. I just didn’t care for it and in my opinion could have done without it just fine. It just took some of the mystery (maybe) away from it.

You can find my full review here

Source: http://snoopydoosbookreviews.com/cold-burn-of-magic-black-blade-1-by-jennifer-estep