Blog Tour Stop for Rising Tide by Claudette Melanson

Today's tour stop features Rising Tide by Claudette Melanson with a great excerpt!

Thank you for stopping and happy reading :)

About Rising Tide

Rising Tide

Maura’s life just can’t get any worse… or can it?

Isolated and sheltered by her lonely mother, Maura’s never been the best at making friends. Unusually pale with a disease-like aversion to the sun, she seems to drive her classmates away, but why?

Even her own father deserted her, and her mother, before Maura was born. Bizarre physical changes her mother seems hell bent on ignoring, drive Maura to fear for her own life. And her luck just seems to get worse.

Life is about to become even more bewildering when her mother’s abrupt,… and unexplained… decision to move a country away sets off a chain of events that will change Maura forever. A Cruel prank turned deadly, the discover of love and friendship… and it’s loss, as well as a web of her own mother’s lies, become obstacles in Maura’s desperate search for a truth she was never prepared to uncover.

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

You can buy it here:

amazonBig KoboButton

Excerpt:

Caelyn was in the kitchen, pouring coffee into a travel mug to take to the office.  Her eyes popped wide when she saw me bound around the corner.  “Maura? Your hair is up?”

I rolled my eyes, but to be honest, her surprise was justified.  This really was a first.  I tried to smile nonchalantly, and shrugged.  “I wanted to try it out.”

“Weird…but ok…”  She shrugged as well and turned back to the counter.  I was on my way to the cabinet to dig out my favorite honey-flavored cereal, when my mom’s arm came across my path to block me.  In her hand was a plateful of scrambled eggs.

“Here, Maura, why don’t you eat this?” my look of disappointment caused her to use an infallible tactic—guilt.  “I got up early to make them for you.”

“And…what’s wrong with cereal?”  I took the plate obligingly.

She tried to sound indifferent, but I noticed the nervous tremble, underlying, in her voice.  “It’s time you put more protein into your diet.”

“Mom, I’m almost seventeen, and you pick now to become more concerned with my diet.”

“You’re right, I should have done that a long time ago.”  She patted my head affectionately, and of course with that, the battle was over for me.  I was now resigned to the eggs, my sugary, morning fix lost to me.

I took a whiff.  A cook Caelyn was not…that was another reason I took on kitchen duty, but they smelled mouthwatering.  “Mmmmm,” I surprised myself by scooping a wad of them up with my fingers, not bothering to grab a fork.  I wolfed half the plateful down in this manner before I noticed my mother staring at me open-mouthed.

I laughed nervously, blushing profusely.  “Hey!  You’re right, protein is good.”  I didn’t want to, but forced myself to take the time to fetch silverware and went to sit at the dining room table.

My Review Rising Tide

I won a copy of this book a while back and had it sitting on my desk for a while, waiting to be read. Yesterday, I picked it up just to get a closer look at it and see what it is about and read the first chapter while I was waiting for someone. Next thing I know I was a 1/3 through the book. I had no idea I read that much already. That doesn’t happen often and if it does they are usually pretty awesome books. This was one of them. It just had a way to sucks you into the story. I really enjoyed it and had a hard time putting the book down. While it was pretty obvious to me what was happening to Maura it was still great to read about her and to see what will happen next to her and how she deal with it then. Though I had a few times when I thought “How can she not get it?” But that was kind of the fun of it. Her Mom kind of annoyed me in a way of “How can you not tell her? “ But not too much. Ron, I really enjoyed him and the way he cared for Maura, but I can’t help the feeling that there is more to him. What I also enjoyed is how the relationship slowly grew and unlike in some books where everything is so rushed. The end was sort of a cliffhanger and I can NOT wait to read the 2nd book and see how Maura’s journey will continue now that everything has changed for her.

Overall I think I rate this book at a 4 ½ ★

About the Author:

Claudette author pic

Claudette Melanson lives in Guelph, Ontario, with her husband Ron and four bun babies: Tegan, Pepper, Butters & Beckett. She was born in Bristol, Tennessee and graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a BA in English and an MA in Literature. Vampires have been a passion since age five. She hopes to one day work full time as an author, since there are many, many books living inside her head.In her spare time she enjoys watching Japanese Anime and reading vampire stories....along with other great fiction. She is also very interested in good health and is an advocate of Ketogenic eating, using whole and natural foods. Future dreams include writing many more books, spending more time with her son, Jacob and sister, Susie. She hopes to take them and her nieces Maggie, Sadie and Sophie to Disneyworld with the proceeds from the first novel. A Rabbit Rescue fanatic, she also hopes to help rescues all over the world save many innocent lives.

Links :