Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera #1) by Dani-Lyn Alexander

Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera #1) - Dani-Lyn Alexander

Synopsis:

Betrayal lies cloaked in shadow.

Seventeen year old Ryleigh Donnovan is certain her life is cursed. Nothing ever goes smoothly, and her first job interview is no exception. An earthquake rocks the building, sending Ryleigh on a frantic search for her younger sister, a search which lands her in the hospital. Terrified they’ll push her for answers she can’t afford to give, Ryleigh flees with a mysterious stranger.

Jackson Maynard is about to be ordained as a Death Dealer, a warrior for the Kingdom of Cymmera, but first he must pass one more test. When he fails to acquire the human girl the prophet has chosen, he’s forced to stand trial for treason. Banished from his realm, he seeks out the girl from the vision, Ryleigh Donnovan, and together they embark on a journey to save his dying kingdom.

My thoughts:

I picked up this book because the cover looked great and the synopsis sounded interesting. Well they say don’t judge a book by its cover and I guess that does for great covers as well as for bad covers. Anyways I really wanted to like this book and I really don’t like writing reviews for books I didn’t care for but I agree to a honest review , when I get ARC books so I here I go. The whole story felt rushed. I like fast-paced books but not a fast-paced story where you feel like its going way to fast and you feel like you missing something. I think the world building could have had more explanation as well as some of the characters. Also some things I didn’t agree with, was some things Ryleigh did. It could just be me and other people are fine with it but here is an example of what. Right after she sees what he is (or at least that he is not human), she of course is terrified of him, but not 5 min later she gets in the car with him to catch a ride because her feet are still messed up from the quake and such, like that is not enough she than invites him in her house. I’m sorry but when I’m scarred of someone, there is no way in hell that I get in a car with them. No matter how much my feet hurt. I would find another way.  That was just one of the things that bothered me a little. I also found Ryleigh and Jackson rather annoying and found it hard to relate to them in any way. I’m kind of sad that I didn’t like it more because the story itself had great potential, it just all felt to rushed and I didn’t really care for the characters. Overall, I thought its ok but I probably will not read the next book and rate it at 2 ½★ but maybe others will like it more.

*I received a free ARC copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

goodreads-badge-add-plus-